Tuesday 18 October 2011

Broken Arm!

Uh Oh.  In a senior citizens moment for me I managed to trip over a bike rack, while walking towards the ATM (okay yes and concurrently ferreting around in my wallet) in the supermarket carpark.  It was all set to be a fabulous day – Joel was looking after Elsie who had gone down for her morning nap beautifully. I had a master plan; visit the organic butcher (for Elsie), visit Harvest Wholefood (Elsie again), visit Moa to see if I could score any nice dresses for work in their end of season sale (that one was for me). To begin with I wanted to get some cash out of the machine. And then I fell.
I knew the moment that I hit the concrete that I had hurt myself. You just know. Normally, when I trip, I’m immediately back up on my feet, talking a million miles a minute, heart racing and blushing. This time everything seemed to go very quiet. In fact I didn’t even know I had fallen until I was lying face down on the concrete. I stayed down there for a moment thinking through, did I hit my head? Can I moved my legs? Everything seemed to be in order so I started gathering myself up. I knew my arm hurt and immediately thought of snowboarders – who are always falling over and sticking their arm out to break their fall. Snowboarders always seem to hurt their wrists – so I checked mine over. Amazingly, a physiotherapist popped up from nowhere. We ascertained that I could move my wrist okay. A passing mother assigned her toddler to collect and return my purse and all its contents to me. And I decided, bugger it. I’ll carry on with my day. Off to the butcher I headed. That went well. Then off to Moa. I tried on about 10 dresses. It was a bit difficult as increasingly I couldn’t move my left arm, but I soldiered on purchasing three. Off to harvest wholefoods. I got a great deal on organic apples – I was rather embarrassed at the till when I couldn’t lift my handbag and I struggled to get the money out of my wallet to pay. “My arm hurts – I fell over this morning” I said apologetically to the man behind the check out as a queue began to form. Having completed all my assigned tasks I headed home . By this time I could hardly move my arm – it had become quite bruised and swollen – so I hid my shopping in the wardrobe and off to WhiteCross we went. Yep I’d broken my arm. Well, fractured my radial head to be precise. Everyone kept telling me that it was the best fracture to get and should heal really well. The only problem was that Joel was heading over the Great Barrier Island at the weekend and I could lift Elsie, put her to bed, breastfeed her, get her in and out of the high chair or change a nappy. Uh Oh indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment