Monday 6 June 2011

Highlights from Huia: Week 2

Elsie Bear


Little Miss Beachman is really showing her personality now. She is very chatty, burbling away in her cot in the mornings. Unfortunately we are yet to work out what she is saying. Chuckles and giggles are still a rare treat! Here's some video of her doing her thing...




It's all about the mouth this week with everything going in it. We read her the story of the Very Hungry Caterpillar but she got a little too 'into character' attempting to eat the book.


So studious

Sausage....

Tasty
Fortunately she seems to have stopped her penchant for poking out her tongue like a lizard! Now it's dribble dribble drool. Her current nickname is Slobodan ...


She is getting much better at grabbing things and bringing them to her mouth (although it's a slow process as she often misses the first time) which is good because she is 'learning to express frustration'. That's a euphemism for whinging...


This video is of Elsie trying to eat her red tights and being a little bit of a spasmotron....




We are trying to encourage Elsie to see the benefits in sitting up, however, she seems intent on going straight to standing! This week she is flatly refusing to bend at the hips. We think she is just getting into the planking craze early.


Planking with Dad
We went down to playgroup at the Huia Hall this week. It was really busy with lots of kids and really cool toys. Elsie had a go in one of those exer-saucers (where the baby stands supported in a plastic circle of dreams). Elsie was probably too young for it but she seemed stoked to be upright and in planking position. Although she did a fair amount of lurching around and grunting she was staunch and didn't complain at all. Although to say she enjoyed it may be a bit of a stretch.


Elsie's sleeping has gone right out the window this week - waking twice in the night (what happened to our baby that sleeps for 12 hours each night???). We are busying ourselves intently discussing and musing over the many theories for this; such as whether she is cold or hungry or growing or perhaps starting to get teeth. We have quite a bit of time on our hands these days...Personally, the only problem I have with it is that it is limiting my Pinot Noir consumption which is probably not such a bad thing.


Food wise she has been simply ravenous this week with some quite disturbing truffle pig moments (use your imagination). She actually left marks on Joel's arm and my neck from when she was rooting around. Yes, we both had hickies. Quite embarassing down at play group.  I find it crazy (and a bit sad) to think she will be starting solids in a month. She is starting to show a glimmer of interest in food. This week she was staring at some cheddar (vintage darling!) so I mulched some up and she sucked it off my finger. She seemed to quite enjoy it but I think I get demerit parenting points - something about not having dairy until they are 12 months old blah blah blah.  I then offered her some pumpkin - just a tiny bit - she didn't really seem to either enjoy or dislike it - but she did swallow it which was promising!


She has grown a lot this week. When I look down at her when we are feeding I just can't believe how big she is. I can really see the child emerging. Othertimes I look at her and she seems such a tiny vulnerable baby still. I next get to weigh her hopefully when I take her to get her vaccines on the 6th of June.


Joel and I


We are starting to relax into Huia. We had a few visitors out this weekend which was awesome. It's lovely being able to host guests again after so many weeks of visiting. This house is great for entertaining because it is so well kitted out with lovely crockery and kitchen gadgets. And it's a lovely space to be in. Feng Shui baby!


Sam and Maia - a rainy afternoon in Huia

Hardware Cafe Titirangi


We have been diligently walking up to the Lower Huia Dam every day. This currently constitutes our daily exercise (still not running!) although the word 'Lower' is somewhat misleading because it's bl**dey steep.  The dam has this terrifying sink hole that you can walk out over (loving the Kiwi lack of any health and safety) and look down into. It reminds me of the final scene in Return of the Jedi where the goodies are trying not to be sucked down into Jabba the Hut's huge sand hole. It's seriously about the same dimensions thought. I find the spillway (that's the technical term for the freaky sink hole) really scary but strangely addictive. I find myself compelled to go there every day, stare over the edge, shudder, and quickly scuttle away.


Staring down at the sinkhole - Lower Huia Damn

Scary!


The walk up to the Damn is very pretty and terribly bucolic. We're go all jaunty and wholesome playing spot the animal and bird life (excellent kingfisher action!) on the way there and back. I figure we are quite annoying.

Huia Damn Road

Huia Damn Road

In the Kitchen


Pumpkin Soup


I am determined to hone my baking skills during this year off work. The plan is to find good recipes, practice and hopefully master the basics. For example a carrot cake, scones, a chocolate cake etc. I know it doesn't sound very ambitious but I don't think I've ever actually made scones!


This week I made my first ever carrot cake. I used the 'vanilla extract oil' that was in the cupboard in both the cake and the cream cheese icing. Unfortunately it smelled strongly and strangely of banana. The cake cooked well and had a good texture, however, it was definitely too bicarbonate-y for my taste. When I served it I noticed green flecks in my piece. It kinda freaked me out - I thought it was mould or something. This wasn't helped by the fact that I served it with a knife that had previously been used to cut chillies. So my mouth starting tingling and burning a bit. Meanwhile I'm staring at my plate noticing green mould-like flecks and wondering why it tastes of banana.  Not the best start to mastering the basics. They say you should never apologise for food you serve but I really think this may have been an exception. Jenni and maggie were very polite about it - but no one went back for seconds! Later on I googled 'green carrots' it turns out that this is a (fortunately harmless) reaction when there is too much baking soda. I bloodey knew it!

No comments:

Post a Comment